Husband, Father, Firefighter, City Councilmember, Candidate for Mayor of Phoenix
Daniel Valenzuela is from a family of six raised for the most part by a single mom. His family moved around - a lot. Moving frequently meant attending different schools. In fact, 13 different schools in all.
His family faced a lot of challenges. What made the difference was the help they got along the way, summer jobs from the Urban League and Arizona OIC.
The firefighters who responded when his mom collapsed on the kitchen floor of their home one day left a lasting impression on him. Maybe he too could do for someone else’s mom what they did for her that day. Through his Mom, those firefighters showed him a way. A way out and a way up.
Daniel is now a professional firefighter for over 15 years and a Phoenix City Councilmember of over 6 years. Being on the frontline as a firefighter has instilled in Daniel a deep appreciation that giving up is never an option. And most importantly – that fire, accidents, and tragedies don’t discriminate regardless of age race, gender, religion, income, or sexual orientation.
Those are same principles of leadership and service that Daniel has brought to Phoenix City Hall - bringing people together and being a problem solver.
- To create new and high wage jobs crucial to a truly prosperous and sustainable city.
- To insure students have the opportunity to reach their full potential like he did.
- To foster a welcoming and inclusive community that values fairness and equality.
And to make and keep our neighborhoods and families safe, because there is no responsibility of government that is greater than public safety.
Lifelong Phoenix residents Daniel and Wendy Valenzuela reside in the Royal Palm neighborhood and are the parents of four children.
Daniel Valenzuela comes to the Mayor’s Office with the experience critical to providing the leadership America’s 5th largest city demands.
- Two-term Phoenix City Councilmember representing Central and West Phoenix
- Vice-Mayor of the City of Phoenix
- Chairperson, Downtown, Aviation, Economy, and Innovation Sub-committee – the City Council’s economic development and job creation arm
- Member, City Council Sustainability, Housing, Efficiency and Neighborhoods, Parks, Arts, Education and Equality subcommittee, and Transportation and Infrastructure subcommittee
- Board of Directors, Western Maricopa County Coalition (WESTMARC)
- Executive Committee, Arizona League of Cities and Towns
- National League of Cities Community and Economic Development Advocacy Committee
Daniel Valenzuela’s record of service to the community reflects his ongoing commitment to making Phoenix an even greater city to live, work, and raise a family.
- Board of Directors, Arizona Legal Women and Youth Services
- Board of Directors, Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Phoenix and Central Arizona
- Member, Valley of the Sun United Way Ending Hunger Leadership Council
- Board of Directors, StartUpAZ Foundation
- Board of Directors, Co+HOOTS Foundation
- Maryvale High School Early Childhood Education Advisory Board
- Former Member, City of Phoenix Maryvale Village Planning Committee
- Board of Directors, Friends of Phoenix Public Art
- Former Board Member, Phoenix Center for the Arts
- Board Member, Release the Fear
- Graduate, Valley Leadership, Class 35
- Graduate, Valle del Sol Hispanic Leadership Institute
- IMPACT Award, Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce
- 40 Under 40, Phoenix Business Journal
- Community Leader of the Year, Obesity Action Coalition Leader of the Year
- Honorary Member, AZ Business Incubation Association
- Civic Leadership Award, MENTAL Group